Gate Community Summer - Day 6
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
God’s promise of power is received when you receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit
Remember the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is...
- A second blessing, distinct in nature, from the experience of justification
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a distinct experience, it is a welcoming of the person of the Holy Spirit into us
- It enables us for power for service (we will talk about next week), but also enables us for personal holiness and victory over sin
- It is a deeper filling that brings to full light the journey of sanctification
- The role of the Holy Spirit is to put in us “the nature and life of Jesus.”
- Christ’s righteousness in us is what will overcome the power of sin
- In other words, the Holy Spirit’s principal task is to apply Christ’s righteousness to the believer’s life, thereby enabling the believer to be conformed to Christ’s image. To be more like Jesus
The events that took place on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 transformed the disciples as they were all baptized in the Holy Spirit. What happened to them not only changed their lives, but the “dunamis” power of God began to change the world!
Acts 2:1-4 (ESV)
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
The Holy Spirit immerses the Christ-Follower in a supernatural way. Jesus says the coming of the Spirit upon the believer in power will be an experience that will be noticeable; His disciples would know when the Spirit had come upon them. And others would know when somebody is being baptized by the Holy Spirit. The Baptism of the Holy is a marked transformation that is evident to others around you?