Gate Community Summer - Day 12
As we continue our study of Acts 2, the passage extends a warning that we should take pause and consider.
12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
In verse 12 the demonstration of God's power in the miracle of tongues causes amazement and perplexity among everyone. "And all were amazed and perplexed." But the perplexity gave way to two very different responses. Some seriously asked, "What does this mean?" However others mocked and leaped to a human explanation saying "They are filled with new wine."
The caution is that we can hinder the pouring out of the Holy Spirit when we attempt to explain it through human terms. There are many hindrances that can prevent or stunt us from experiencing the Holy Spirit fully… Here are a few…
- Lack of desire towards God
- Desire for our independence and selfishness to be more important than God
- Unwillingness to go against the values of our culture
- Known sin that we are unwilling to confess or repent of
- Unwillingness to surrender to Christ or die to ourselves.
- Doubt or unbelief.
- Scepticism (which can lead to mockery like we just read in verse 13)